Pros and Cons of Agency Adoptions
Nevada Adoption Attorney Discusses Your Option
Agency adoptions take multiple forms. Whether you are using a public, private or international agency, there are pros and cons to taking this route to adoption. Public and private adoption agencies are both licensed and regulated in accordance with Nevada adoption laws. Attorney Eric A. Stovall has over 25 years of experience as a practicing attorney, and he has been handling many different types of adoptions since 1995.
Pros of Agency Adoption
Our law firm has several reasons that we recommend working with an agency for your adoption, including:
- Ease. Working with an adoption agency is one of the most easily accessible ways to begin your journey into the adoptive process. Children available for adoption are listed on multiple websites in the state of Nevada.
- Cost. Adoptions through international agencies tend to be the most expensive form of agency adoption, while going through state agencies is the least expensive.
- Experience. Agencies often have years of experience matching children with adoptive families. They also provide both education and resources to adoptive families that are not available through private venues.
- Speed. Families who want to adopt quickly generally find agency adoptions to be the fastest way to adopt a child. Due to the vast number of children already in the system waiting for permanent homes, agency adoptions generally go faster than private adoptions.
Cons of Agency Adoption
However, on the other hand, for some of our clients, an agency adoption will not work for them. Some of these reasons include:
- Babies. Families set on adopting an infant child may find that this is much harder when going through an agency. Agencies often have more older children than infants, and many families are already on waiting lists.
- Contact. Adoptive parents usually have less contact with the birth parents when adopting through an agency. This could be a pro or a con depending upon your preference. Agencies attempt to keep comprehensive medical records on children and birth parents. However, without contact with the birth family, if medical questions were to arise, getting more information than was originally provided by the agency can be a challenge.
Legal Help for Adoptions
Our Nevada adoption attorney understands that deciding what channels to go through and how to proceed with your dream of adoption are difficult decisions to make. We have been through this process with countless families over the years. Because of this, we are here to share our knowledge and experience with you.
Getting as much information as you can about how to adopt, and having all your questions answered is an important first step. Furthermore, knowing what to expect makes the process less stressful. Contact Eric A. Stovall, Ltd. for an initial meeting at (775)337-1444.